What you can do

File a Complaint Form.

Consumer Questions

If you have questions regarding procedures/ policies of your financial institution, you may wish to:

  • Review loan or deposit contracts or fee schedules.
  • Contact your institution for clarification.
  • Review the Frequently Asked Questions on the Division's website.

The Division cannot provide any information as to the financial or managerial soundness of a particular institution. It also cannot provide any ratings or information discovered in the examination process.

The FDIC does provide financial information for banks and savings banks on its website at under the Industry Analysis tab.

Consumer Complaints

The Division welcomes the opportunity to assist consumers who have experienced difficulties when conducting business with Ohio state-chartered depository institutions. Our goal is to help you resolve your problem as quickly and efficiently as possible. To that end, we strongly encourage the consumer and the company to settle their disputes directly.

While the Division is interested in assisting you, please be advised that we cannot resolve contractual disputes, undocumented factual disputes between a financial institution and a customer, or disagreements about policies and procedures. We cannot act as an advocate or ombudsman on your behalf, and cannot conduct detailed investigations of individual complaints.

A list of Frequently Asked Questions is available for your convenience. A review of these may provide you with information to assist you with your concern/complaint.

It is very important that you first contact someone with authority at the financial institution (i.e., a member of senior management or a consumer complaint representative) in an attempt to resolve your complaint or your question. In order to assist you, a list of contact persons for each state-chartered institution can be found below.

If you are unsuccessful, written complaints to the Division may help consumers resolve problems with an Ohio-chartered financial institution. We must have the complaint in writing prior to any action being taken.

What we can do for you

You may submit written consumer complaints against regulated institutions within the Division's jurisdiction to the Division.

Upon receipt of your complaint, a letter from the Division will be sent to the financial institution, requesting a response to you within 30 days. The institution is asked to provide the Division with a copy of its response.

The Division anticipates the response from the financial institution will either resolve the matter or state why it cannot be addressed within this timeframe.

If a response is not forthcoming, as requested, a reminder letter will be sent to the financial institution.

Depository Complaint Contact List

The following links will provide you with the names of State-chartered institutions and contact information for each. The financial institution's name, phone number, the name of the employee who is responsible for complaint resolution, and e-mail addresses are included in most cases. We strongly encourage you to use this contact information.

Banks and Savings Institutions

Credit Unions

Consumer Complaint Brochure

The Division offers a Consumer Complaint Brochure for your convenience.

How to file a complaint

The Division cannot address complaints against national banks, federal savings & loan associations, federal savings banks, or federal credit unions. If the name of an institution contains "N.A.," "National," "Federal," "FSA," "FSB," "f.s.b.," or "FCU", it is a federally chartered institution. See the section below entitled “ Complaints Against Other Institutions” to determine who you should contact for institutions not chartered by the State of Ohio.

Complaints may be sent in the form of a letter addressed to the Division or you may download and submit a completed Complaint Form to the Division . You may also receive a copy of the Division's complaint form by calling (800) 321-3100. COPIES of pertinent information should be included with your written complaint: type of account, account number and also names of employees who have discussed the problem with you.

Complaints, along with COPIES of any documentation, should be sent to:

Consumer Complaints
Ohio Department of Commerce
Division of Financial Institutions
77 South High Street , 21st Floor
Columbus, Ohio  43215-6120

Or faxed to: (614) 644-1631

Complaints Against Other Institutions

If your complaint is with a national bank (has the word “national” in its name or the letters “N.A.” after the name), please contact:

Customer Assistance Group
Comptroller of the Currency
1301 McKinney Street, Suite 3710
Houston, TX  77010

Telephone: 800-613-6743

If your complaint is with a federal savings & loan association or savings bank (may have the word “federal” in its name or the letters “FSB” after the name), please contact:

Manager of Consumer Programs
Office of Thrift Supervision
10 Exchange Place , 18th Floor
Jersey City, NJ  07302

Telephone: (201) 413-1000

To file a complaint against a federal credit union (may have the word “federal” in its name), please contact:

National Credit Union Administration
1775 Duke Street
Alexandria, VA  22314-3428



Division of Financial Institutions
77 South High Street
21st Floor
Columbus, OH 43215-6120

Phone 614.728.8400
Fax 614.728.0380

Contact the Webmaster for Questions
or Comments on the Website: